Record Extraction Finished!

John Shuck, Volunteer Coordinator for the Evergreen Cemetery restoration effort, finished digitizing the 2800 burial records from 1929-1979.  These records are estimated to be only a fraction of the actual burials at Evergreen.  This summer we will start GPS-locating graves that are not in the records to recreate the database and better allow families to find their ancestors and restore/maintain family plots.

6 Replies to "Record Extraction Finished!"

• Edwin Johnson
    February 9, 2011 (3:39 pm)

Hi, I spoke to Veronica Davis and gave her a list of relatives I think are buried in Evergreen and the adjacent cemetary but never heard back from her. Is this information now available for me to check myself? I really want to begin the process of cleaning up the sites when I can verify where the relatives are buried. I know for sure that 4 of my relatives are buried there. One in 1925 (Ellen Thompson) in a separate plot, 3 others in 1 plot in 1943 (Doris Johnson), 1955 (Matilda Johnson) and 1968 (David Johnson) and another in 1947 (Richard Thompson) in 1 plot. Thanks

• modernatelierperfumes
      February 9, 2011 (4:00 pm)

Edwin,
      All the records before 1929 are currently missing so Ellen Thompson is going to have to be found the hard way. If you have any family info on what her plot looked like or where it might have been in the cemetery, please ask your relatives. Doris Johnson is not in the records. I have a Matilda Johnson, died 1954 age 73, but there is also a Mattie Johnson died 1954, age 55. Which is the one we are looking for? No Richard Thompson or David Johnson either. Do you happen to have plot numbers for any of these? Please come out this Saturday and help us clean the cemetery, get the tour, and get started with your search!

• Jenny Rios
    March 22, 2011 (12:44 pm)

my name is jenny rios. i am a memebr of the church of jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have a loved one buried at evergreen cemetary a few years back. we have hoped to orginize a large clean up of as much of the cemetary as posible. My son did an eagle project that located and cleared the historic Parham family cemetary in Susex County. a sign was posted so it can be found by those serching. how do we go about doing this. it will help in your work with locating people. in just a few hours we cleared the parham cemetary. of course it is much much smaller but with enough hands great things can be done. my cell is 804-240-0215. please call me and lets work together to bring respect and honor to those who lived before us. Jenny

• John Shuck
      April 13, 2011 (7:52 am)

Jenny, my name is John Shuck and I am the volunteer coordinator for the Evergreen Cemetery clean up project. My email is jshuck@rocketmail.com. My cell is 804-728-9475. I will give you a call.

• Clinton King
    March 23, 2011 (10:50 am)

Have you happened to keep a list of burials discovered/restored? I have a list of 125 pre-1920’s names that are associated with an Evergreen Cemetery, a few I am positive belong to this cemetery but the rest of I am unsure on. If you do have a list that you could send, that would be great. I am not asking you to look through them all :).

• John Shuck
      April 13, 2011 (7:50 am)

Unfortunately there are no records that exist for burials prior to 1929. I eventually photograph all gravestones we uncover at Evergreen and post the pictures on the Find A Grave web site. You could check you list of names and see if they are there. See http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=50175

John